Ronan Donovan contributed this list of what you should bring to practice. Thanks, Ronan.
Sailing Packing List:
I would note a few things:
(1) REI lists a whitewater helmet for under $30.00 that would be suitable.
(2) They have a nice compact life jacket for about $100.00. Please pick a bright color.
(3) Get “croakies” for your sunglasses or some type that stay with you.
(4) Attach your whistle to your life jacket with a lanyard.
(5) You can make a suitable bailer by cutting the top off of a plastic bleach or detergent bottle, keep the handle intact so you can “scoop” water out of your boat.